buffalo chicken wraps with charred scallion ranch
Is there anything more perfect for game day than like really good fried chicken? I would venture to say that there is not. These gorgeous little chicken tenders got tossed in buffalo sauce and wrapped up in a hatch chile tortilla with some ranch, lettuce, cheese and pickles but I would have happily just eaten the chicken with the ranch (I did do that with the leftovers). The trick to really good chicken is to make sure the chicken has been marinated in buttermilk, which helps tenderize the lean breast meat and to make sure it has all the crispy crunchies from the flour. My method is so easy in that you just throw the marinated chicken in a ziplock full of seasoned flour and then shake the hell out of it. That’s it. No dredging back and forth between flour and buttermilk 50 times. No batter. No getting your hands gross. Just throw ‘em in a bag and shake it up.
These are perfect for a party! you can usually get 4-5 pieces out of each wrap and you can just throw them on a plate with some extra ranch and everyone will be happy! I believe you could also do these in an air fryer if you don’t want to deep fry. I love my air fryer and we use it often for crisping up wings. Just spray the breaded tenders with oil and air fry according to manufacturer instructions!
Buffalo Chicken Wraps with Charred Scallion Ranch
- 2 lbs. chicken breast tenders
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 flavored wrap tortillas (I used hatch chilies)
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup chopped spicy pickles
- To make the scallion ranch: heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Throw the scallions in the pan and turn occasionally until they have dark spots all over them. Roughly chop the charred scallions and place them in the blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth, add seasoning as necessary, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the buffalo chicken: Place tenders in a gallon ziplock bag and top with buttermilk and 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce. Marinate for 4 hours in the fridge. In a separate gallon bag, mix together flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Remove the tenders from the buttermilk and shake off any excess liquid. Place them directly in the ziplock bag filled with seasoned flour, seal the bag and shake really well so that all the tenders are coated. Heat 2 inches of canola oil in a dutch oven or pot to 375 degrees F. Fry 5-6 strips at a time for about 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet to drain excess oil. Repeat until all the tenders are fried. You can keep the fried chicken warm in a 200 degree F oven while frying the rest.
- Toss the chicken tenders with a little buffalo sauce, until they are lightly coated. Lay down a wrap and line one side with two slices of cheese. Top with 2-3 strips of chicken, lettuce, pickles and drizzle with ranch. Roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks and cut in half or into pieces.